This picture: You just bought a palatial flat in a sophisticated gated community. The facilities are great, the house is spacious, the neighbours are friendly, and everything smiles with positivity. But, despite everything appearing so shiny and pleasant, the garbage is only dumped in a quiet corner of the campus. Rarely does a powerful odor cleanse and subtly cry the waste of the entire campus and collect a lot of flies, mosquitoes and insects, causing the entire complex to be vulnerable to serious
_diseases. It should not be forgotten how it damages the environment if it is not cleaned efficiently. Sounds terrible, isn’t it?
What is Solid Waste Management?
Waste can be solid, liquid or gaseous, with the last two often associated with factories. Solid waste includes garbage (including food), furniture, tires, scrap metal, appliances, toys, and many more. A specific solid waste management definition refers to the process of collecting solid wastes and how you treat them.
Importance of Solid Waste Management
Solid Waste Management in India is in a controversial position. Research shows that 1.50lakh metric tonnes of solid waste is generated every day in India alone. Of the total collected waste, about 20 percent of solid waste is processed, while the remaining 80 percent is dumped in landfill sites, creating a hazardous situation. In this day and age, every person should strive towards a more sustainable future, in which the generations to come will live in peace and harmony. Understand and bear every aspect of cleanliness and environmentally friendly points when buying your own home.
There are important points for homebuyers regarding solid waste management:
Solid waste management involves a lot of planning, administration, engineering and legal understanding on waste disposal. When moving to a new house or building, identify where all the waste is being disposed of. Following the principle of ‘reduce, reuse, recycle’, waste segregation bins should be in every residence. It can separate solids from liquids, reusable from non-reusable, organic to toxic, and many other differences. This isolation helps waste collectors and instills a sense of discipline about waste management. These waste segregation bins need to be installed in every nook and cranes of the property and are used dutifully.
Well Maintained Compost Pit
The wastes can further be classified into organic wastes, toxic wastes and recyclable wastes. Creating a concrete pit and biogas plant is an important step in solid waste management. Organic waste includes leftover food, vegetable and fruit peels, egg peels, etc. If left to rot in landfills, it produces methane gas which is harmful to the environment. Therefore, it is necessary to look for developments that have well-made manure pits. These pits help nourish the plants you grow, improve soil quality and reduce harmful greenhouse gases. These days most households adopt this method, usually reserved for improving the quality of their garden.
Legal Means Disposing of Waste
A Solid Waste Management system is a key feature of a permanent building and is not very difficult to adopt. If each house does its share, it goes a long way. However, it is important to know that according to the law, you cannot simply burn or dump your garbage. For decades, the task of burning your garbage or throwing it on the streets or emptying it into water bodies became normalized. Now, it draws a hefty fine to ensure that none of these rules are flouted.
When left useless, it produces harmful gases and can cause adverse effects on the environment and your health. Taking the necessary steps towards solid waste management can be time consuming and sometimes a bit costly. But the benefits are life-giving. Properties with a solid waste management system will have clean air to breathe, a refreshing environment, little risk of falling ill and even better aesthetics. It is about doing what is right for the environment.
A Clean and Green Community
As the saying goes – house cleaning begins. Seeking properties with a solid waste management system, see if the community is working as a single entity for stability and green peace. It is a good idea to avoid accumulating too many items, thus reducing the amount of waste generated. Donate or discard items that are of no use to you, but can be reused. Also, do not dispose of concrete items after single use. For example, since plastic bottles are dumped everywhere, avoid including them in the trash. Instead, you can use it for storing water, oil and other liquids or use it as a pot for plants, as a Unique Kitchen Garden Idea.
Finally, homebuyers should understand the fact that a poor solid waste management system can also affect real estate in addition to endangering people’s health and the environment. Are you looking to invest in sustainable and environmentally friendly development?
Head of Corpseed Group for the right and green way of living.